In January, STEIM devoted a lot of attention to all things modular. In August, our resident artis Alvin Aronson will present a workshop that further investigates the possibilities of the modular approach
DATE: 28th of August
TIME: 11:00 / 18:00
LOCATION: STEIM Concertspace, Utrechtsedwarsstraat 134, Amsterdam
REGISTER: This workshop is limited to 10 participants, Registration HERE
The modular synthesis environment enables vast sonic permutations from a limited set of functions. Audio and control functions share a common language (Voltage). As a result the familiar concepts of notes, melodies, harmonies, rhythms and textures become transferable. As these distinctions break down the musician is able to create fluid, connected sonic worlds that can crystallize or melt at the turn of a knob.
This class will begin with a technical approach to various synthesis architectures and basic logic as it applies to musical practice. Additionally we will explore Interconnection and automation between different elements in a patch ‘ecosystem’. Some knowledge of musical theory will come in handy but is not required. Workshop demo patches will be created on a Eurorack format synthesizer. Afterwards workshop participants will have a chance to experiment, creating their own sonic environments.
• Intro: A technical intro to control voltage (CV) and signal flow.
• Anatomy of a note: We will look at the notes produced by various instruments to see what gives each instrument its musical character.
• Demo: The primary focus of the class will be on various traditional approaches to harmonic synthesis including subtractive and FM/AM/RM architectures.
• Demo: We will create our own drum machine using basic oscillators, filters and envelope generators.
• Demo: Generative music patch in which we introduce some aleatoric processes.
• Patching: The class will open up and participants are encouraged to experiment by creating patches on analog and digital modular systems.
Alvin Aronson is a NYC based DJ and musician. Aronson uses minimalist drum machine patterns and expansive synthesizer drones to form a sensory connection to a larger notion of time and a techno music that is both futuristic and primitive. His forthcoming debut for White Material records is scheduled for release Summer 2014.