Becoming an intern or volunteer at STEIM
STEIM is regularly looking for creative minds and hands to help out
in our research labs, workshops and concert space.
In particular we are interested in people with experience in:
- Use of and building of sensors
- Using and programming microcontrollers (e.g. Arduino)
- Electronic design
- In music environments such as: SuperCollider, Max/MSP, PureData, etc.
- Languages such as C, C++, Python; specifically experience with GUI programming, OSX frameworks and/or crossplatform libraries
- Single-board platforms such as the BeagleBoard, Raspberry Pi
- Real-time Linux on embedded platforms
- Using and designing for laser cutting, 3D printing
- 3D design, CAD drawing
- Rapid prototyping
STEIM has a huge archive of projects’ past, we are working to
make the archive accessible via modern means
- Archiving and key wording mixed media
- Writing overviews and analysis of subjects documented in the archive
- Innovative interfaces to large mixed media repositories
Photography, video, and written documentation. We are looking for volunteers to help with taking photos, videotaping, and making short write-ups of events and projects that are going on at STEIM.
Production and event organising
STEIM hosts both concerts and workshops, to make these things
possible, we offer the opportunity to organise workshop and
concert series that fit into STEIM’s philosophy, get involved
in the funding and organisation process.
Volunteers to help with production of concerts. Live sound equipment set-up, helping artists, and lighting setup.
Marketing and PR
- Online marketing efforts
- Writing texts and advertisement copy
- Distribution of flyers
- Researching funding opportunities.
- Applications for funding.
- Input into fundraising plans.
Alternative music education
We are also interested in hearing from you if you have an
interest in alternative musical education for children.
Applying for an internship or volunteer position
In your application we would like to see where your strengths are, possibly with examples of previous work you did (in case of programming skills – seeing source code helps) and an indication of which kind of project you would like to work on. In case of an internship application we need to know for which period you are applying. Send your application with CV and motivation to knock[AT]steim[DOT]nl
STEIM can only offer a very modest remuneration for the internship
(up to 150 euro a month). STEIM does not provide travel expenses or
housing. (Affordable) housing in Amsterdam is not easy to find –
not even for locals/Dutch people. Websites like
http://www.kamernet.nl, http://www.kamertje.nl, and others may help
(but are mostly in Dutch); always try to go and visit a place
before taking any room from a person you do not know. Also consider
surrounding places, like Duivendrecht, Diemen, Amstelveen in your
search, as they are in the metropolitan area of Amsterdam.