STEIM`s Artistic Direction Blog

Various lists with plans, workshops, lectures, and other things


Concert offers 2007

August 13th, 2007

Dated:

  • Jan / Feb 2008: Newton Armstrong & John Butcher (optional)

Not dated:



Local Stop concert series

January 14th, 2007

The Local Stop concert series was started in Feb 2005 by myself, initially ment to give a space to local musical initiatives, bringing ‘classical STEIM music’ (improvised music with electronics). As opposed to the Kraakgeluiden concert series in Amsterdam (at that time a laboratory, with mainly completely free improv as experiment) the idea was to mainly program groups of people working on some kind of structure in their improvision. ‘Bands’ so to say, not big enough to play in the regular venues, but interesting enough to deserve a stage. Very soon resident astists at STEIM were added to the bill, and especially this combination became very strong. This resulted in 9 low-budget concert evenings that received a decent audience (20 - 40 people). Performers received €75 p.p., lodging and travel expenses with a maximum of €150 p.p.

Following are a number of reasons to keep the Local Stop series running:

  • with the changing character of the DNK concert series (formerly Kraakgeluiden), where there seems to be no longer any space in Amsterdam for low-budget and low-cost improv (structured or free), people are applying to Local Stop for opportunities to perform;
  • with regular changes in the artistic leadership of STEIM it seems desirable to keep programming the ‘traditional’ STEIM music, to make sure that that group of people (performers and audience) is not lost;
  • artists in residence quite often are asked for and interested in presenting their project to an audience - as they already receive support from STEIM this can usually be done in a relatively inexpensive way, combining it with local people not needing big travelcosts.

[more…]



Atau’s notes with Taku’s additions

January 28th, 2007

Bringing our “scenes” to STEIM, (Michel: in the way that Nic Collins brought the NYC scene, that Netochka brought the Nato scene.)

Taku – turntable music and research, researchers and developers in the arts,
japanese musicians
Taeji Sawai - laptop musician using sensors, video
Kanta Horio - microscopic sound performer, educator, video
Daito Manabe - digital DJ/VJ, developer, video
Daisuke Ishida - musician living in Berlin, mp3
Kitundu - turntable instrument builder
Jamie Allen - musician, developer, educator website
Jeff Feddersen - musician, sustainable energy researcher, video
Tomomi Adachi - musician, ir-shirt, voice performer
Akihiro Kubota - laptop musician, educator, theorist
Kjetil Hansen - Scratch/Turntablism researcher, musicologist

Mazen – the Beirut scene, instrumentalists, improvisers, sound people
(*to be completed)

Atau – mobile music, research
Drew Hemmett (Futuresonic, locative media)
Zack Settel (SAT Montreal, McGill) – 3D audioscape
Ben Knapp (Biocontrol, SARC) – biosignal interfaces
Stock (V2) – singleboard computers, Gumstix
Lalya Gaye (Viktoria Institute) – mobile music, archiving
Edwin van der Heide
Thomas Dimuzio

Running STEIM
Michel, Robert, Taku
Daniel Schorno ( *need to meet him)
Roland Speckle (outside concerts – *need to meet him)

Funding
Will know in January the financial landscape
Need to make a fundraising strategy

New Media money is going to the Creative Industries. Where does STEIM sit w/ respect to this?
Creative Industries = applied research
STEIM = practice based research

Visionary work is about meaning and not just content

Political background – Arts policy in NL is being reorganized, consolidation of funds. International review committees, putting big places (Musictheatre, Concertgebouw) together in same pool as small lab/ateliers (STEIM). Should STEIM stay w/ Ministry and apply for funds or go w/o?

Looking at potential inside STEIM
Atau – look into the workshop (in part by Michel’s request)
Jorgen – find ways to situate his work, make him feel less isolated ( *need to meet him)
René – could the fascination w/ Tesla be used in our new concerns about Energy?
Frank – MacMini as singleboard computer

Joel – the problem of doing research – his wish to continue visualization workshop presented at ZKM http://on1.zkm.de/zkm/e/workshops_2002/mapping_your_creative_territory

Common projects
Archives – archival and documentation work from over 30 years of archives. How to approach this? How to organize? How to disseminate?
Have applied for grant to make a STEIM book w/ timeline.
Andreas Otto, Lueneburg Univ, PhD thesis on STEIM.
Jamie Hodge wants to do interviews.
Need an intern.
Shall we invite a researcher such as Lalya Gaye [Atau]?

CD releases – there must be some material from all the recordings of concerts to publish a series of STEIM CD’s.

Jamboree – Jamboree was a success, and proof that STEIM can quickly, autonomously organize important events that connect people in the field. Hardware day thanks to Taku – sort of his first intervention as co-director? When to do the next one? Fall 2007?

Space – New space next to foyer

DEAF2007 – April 10-29. What could STEIM do?

Themes – Mazen (* to be completed)
Workshop – with electronic musicians meeting improvisers. Sonic improvisation, focus & concentration, limitations, …

Themes – Taku
Turntables Music - re-examining the practice of turntable music from a STEIM point of view (experimental musical interface, technology and musicianship, improvisation). Organizing concerts, inviting turntablists to develop tools, and working toward a new theorization toward the practice.

Sensor Interface and Instruments - Continuing the tradition of developing sensors instruments for musicians and artists. Release of JunxionCore, introducing a hardware workshop within the regular orientation workshops.

Energy Research and Collaboration - Working with Atau to develop new ideas and applications for alternative energy sourced instruments. Organizing a meeting with other artists and developers in the field to exchange ideas and initiate new projects.

Educational Collaboration - Building new relationships with universities and organization in the US and Japan for student/artist exchange. Integration with orientation workshop and internship.

Musicianship in Electronic Music - Examining what is the discipline of live electronic/computer music. Wether it means to develop a new sensor interface or to understand your software and sound material well. Working with Mazen look at how acoustic musicians develop a sonic aesthetic through an intimate relationship with their instrument and their ear. This theme crosses with the turntable music, sensor interface/instrument and energy research.

STEIM archives - Work toward an online archive of past and current activities. blogs, wikis, videos, archive radio. Integration with STEIM website with the help of Robert and Kristina.

Themes – Atau
Mobile – help in organizing the Mobile Music Workshop w/ Robert, Kristina, and de Waag, May 6,7,8. Atau is on steering committee. Making this also one of his activities for the co-directorship helps him bridge the international team and local team. http://www.viktoria.se/fal/events/mobilemusic/

Energy – understanding Michel’s interest in this topic, and tying it to increasing concern in the area of arts and interaction design of the environment and sustainability. Example: http://itp.nyu.edu/sustainability/
Ideas: Could we build a simple performer-bound electric generator so that performer gestures and movements could generate enough electricity to power his instrument [Michel]? Try to conceive of audio circuitry that could run on variable voltage, or at least stepped voltage (1.5v, 3v, 5v, 12v) [Atau]. How to involve Rene and Jorgen?

Biosignal Interfaces – bring Ben Knapp to present different EMG, EEG, ECG, GSR interfaces for music. Add the STEIM touch to Atau’s BioMuse? Discuss potential interest in this area and look at related work (Peter Desain – http://www.nici.ru.nl/braingain/)

Post-Laptop – looking at mobile devices, single board computers, non-computers, ubicomp distributed systems as ways to imagine a post-laptop music scene. Work w/ Frank on MacMini as singleboard computer. Bring in Stock w/ Gumstix – what support does he need that he has difficulty on his own or at V2? Discussion on things like Arduino now that we have seen it and the guy.

* To Do
Look at scheduling for the year
Plan studio time w/ Robert for projects



Turntable Music

February 5th, 2007

A resource for innovative and experimental turntable music in collaboration with TAG
concerts series:

first concert will be on March 9th with Martin Tetrault/Ignaz Schick, Maria Chavez, dj sniff. Future possible acts: ErikM, Toshio Kajiwara, DJ L?K?O?, Institut fur Feinmotorik, DJ Rupture.

web resource, www.turntablemusic.org or www.steim.org/turntablemusic or something;

interviews, articles, concert excerpts

covering Philip Jeck’s concert at TAG on Feb 14th.



Artistic committee meeting April 11 - 14h

April 11th, 2007

Meeting with Atau, Mazen, Taku, Michel, Frank and Robert about hardware design, concerts, workshops and lectures.

Notes from the meeting (by Taku - edit if necessary):

Atau:

  • 5 days off in July. Waiting for funding to see how many of Atau’s acts can be included in the program. if not many are included Steim can add some money to make a more full program.
  • Atau network/French scene night around September 20. An Atau hosted night introducing interesting acts from France
  • Bio sensor meeting in the Jamboree program. if we do it again this year.

Mazen:

  • First week or July and first week of August to invite 2 groups to record and perform with. He will just need some time in the studio and then curate an concert with those groups and also inviting other groups.
  • Trumpet input analog effect box. also during that time Mazen would like to experiment with different analog modules that can take his trumpet as an input source. Frank, Nico, Jorgen can see if they have something lying around that he can play with.
  • Something in October. Mazen will be in Europe again in October, some kind of concert should be organized then.

To dos:

  • Atau and Mazen need to secure scheduling for themselves, invited artists and steim. Especially Mazen since tickets are getting expensive for the summer time
  • Frank, Nico and Jorgen should see if they have any analog modules that Mazen can use
  • Although July is our low activity month, we seem to have quite a bit going on. Staff scheduling and work load during that time has to be reviewed

Addition by Atau:

I have confirmation from Patrick Fontana of Grenze (http://www.grenze.org) that they are available 20/9. They have also given an idea for something to develop in a mini-residency if possible - this description is in French at the moment, they will have Engl translation next week.

I also had reply from Jerome Noetinger/Lionel Marchetti - they are checking on their availability for 20/9.



Workshops 2007

July 2nd, 2007

Upcoming workshops:

  • Dec 4 - 10: Orientation workshop (Felipe Pires Ribeiro, Ivan Franco, Corey Fogel, Linda O Keeffe, Juan Felipe Waller, Wiel Conen, Yolande Harris)
  • Jan 28 - 31: Jeff Carey / SuperCollider
  • Feb 11 - 14: Mark Coniglio / Isadora
  • Feb 18 - 21: Florian Grote / PD
  • March 17 - 24: Orientation workshop (Woody Sullender)

Concrete plans:

  • Juraj Kojs and Stefania Serafin - a two-day instructional workshop in design, composition, and performance aspects of cyberinstruments by physical modeling synthesis - recommended by Atau - They propose August 2008, so we’ll have to discuss this later.

Ideas:

  • Soundbike workshop by Kaspar Konig - was planned before but there were no registrations - we’ll have to find a context for this workshop to get more people


Artistic committee meeting March 21 - 11h

March 18th, 2007

Meeting mainly about new projects with Michel, Taku, Frank, Daniel and Robert.

Agenda:

  • Projects - online on the intranet
  • Workshops - online in a post on the Artistic Blog - on the intranet
  • Concerts - online in a post on the Artistic Blog - on the intranet

Lectures:

  • Kim Cascone Oct 17 or 19
  • Jaroslaw Kapuscinski/ François Rose - Spectral Analysis as a Resource for Contemporary Orchestration Technique
  • NORIENT SOUNDLECTURE - NEUE MUSIK VON AUSSERHALB VON EUROPA / Thomas Burkhalter / via Roland/Melkweg (Lucas Evers)
  • other lecture ideas: Juan Parra, Kees Tazelaar, Game of life, Robert Henke

Other:

  • exhibition at Energetica in the museum weekend
  • Gaudeamus muziekweek 2007 / Gaudeamus would like to have a fringe program at steim
  • Goethe Instituut / for a concert series with duo’s they would like steim to propose a duo for a concert in june
  • Japan connection 2008
  • JAUNA MUZIKA april 20-28 / electronic and electroacoustic music festival Vilnius, Lithuania / Atau, Taku, Robert, Keir Neuringer and Tom Tlalim will go
  • Croatia -Rijeka - july / festival artistic group Palach / exhibition & concert by Taku, Robert & Keir Neuringer


Lectures 2007

April 15th, 2007

Via Atau:
Philippe Pasquier
http://www.damas.ift.ulaval.ca/~pasquier/P/
http://www.damas.ift.ulaval.ca/~pasquier/index-uk.html

Concerning the lecture, there are at least three options:
- I can present it like usual (40mn). It is a colloquium suitable for both expert and general audiences rather than a purely technical lecture. I have been giving it in various contexts, both academic (UniMelb, SIAL, SIAT, …) and non-academic (Vooruit, Avatar, …). It has always been well received and it usualy raises passionated debates within the audience.
- I can enhance the lecture with a demonstration of some of the tools discussed (some home-made softwares). It will make it a bit more alive.
- I can do a lecture and a performance (I have a 25 minutes electro-acoustic performance that I gave in Canada and in Germany). It is using one of the software discussed during the presentation. The only constraint is that I need a quadriphonic system for it.

Michel suggested combining this with:

  • Theo Janssen http://www.strandbeest.com/

Other:

  • Kim Cascone Oct 17 or 19 - we have to discuss first with art3 - Robert cancelled because no interest
  • Jaroslaw Kapuscinski/ François Rose - Spectral Analysis as a Resource for Contemporary Orchestration Technique
  • NORIENT SOUNDLECTURE - NEUE MUSIK VON AUSSERHALB VON EUROPA / Thomas Burkhalter / via Roland/Melkweg (Lucas Evers)
  • Juan Parra, Kees Tazelaar, Game of life, Robert Henke


Artistic committee meeting July 3 2007

July 2nd, 2007

Agenda

Main topics:

  • Projects - online on the intranet
  • Workshops - online in a post on the Artistic Blog - on the intranet
  • Concerts -  online in a post on the Artistic Blog - on the intranet
  • Lectures -  online in a post on the Artistic Blog - on the intranet
  • Jamboree - We need to make a plan for a Jamboree and/or other activities so the office can start working on funding.

Other:

  • Performance proposal: http://www.lovid.org/
  • Gaudeamus muziekweek 2007 / Gaudeamus would like to have a fringe program at steim - Meeting with Henk Heuvelmans, Taku and Robert is scheduled
  • Japan connection 2008 - We need to start raising funds for travel

/////////////////////////////////////////////

Notes from meeting on May 30:

* Erika is working on Taku’s visa application as high priority - STEIM would like Taku to continue his role as artistic director next year.
* Atau would like to continue in 2008 - Michel proposes that this will happen on project base.
* Taku’s work will overlap with Robert’s work - we need to talk about this before the summer - Robert will organize a meeting.
* List of issues to talk about later - Robert will plan a meeting:
* next year artdirect Tarek & Tina Blaine
* workshop - hardware interns / try some people on project basis (like Sukandar) / fresh person to manage / no longterm R&D anymore
* Taku interested in R&D himself, and some coordination of the workshop / Jamboree at the end of 2007
* Orientation workshop re-vamp - more regular / Frank & Taku more involved / possibly also Daniel & Jorgen
* Bilgi workshop for Turkish students - is Jorgen involved
* Jamboree planning - also with Daniel’s use of Mackies and guesthouse
* Japan connection:
* feb 5 - march 9
* the plan is a LiSa/junXion workshop with Frank & Robert, and a concert with Michel, Taku and Robert - also working with students
* there is funding for the local travel, lodging & fee
* funding is based upon the fact that steim is coming, so they have to do something
* we need to check for travel costs - Erika? Gaudeamus?
* Robert will organize a staf meeting
* Exhibition at Energetica in the museum weekend - our exhibition doesn’t really fit there - so not for now
* Gaudeamus muziekweek 2007 / Gaudeamus would like to have a fringe program at steim - Robert will contact Henk and setup meeting with Taku / Robert
* Croatia -Rijeka - july / festival artistic group Palach / exhibition & concert by Taku, Robert & Keir Neuringer - this seems unlikely to happen - Robert will check with Erika.



Workshops 2008

November 27th, 2007

Upcoming workshops:

  • Nov 25 - Dec 1: Orientation workshop (Theo Howard, Thea Farhadian, Angelina Baker)

    Plans:

    • Juraj Kojs and Stefania Serafin - a two-day instructional workshop in design, composition, and performance aspects of cyberinstruments by physical modeling synthesis - recommended by Atau - They propose August 2008, so we’ll have to discuss this later.
    • Jamie Griffiths (through Alex Nowitz) - possibly Isadora workshop later in the fall